Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Resolution 5.1: Whole-Wheat Pasta with Kale and Fontina

Last week, my dear friend Neda came over for dinner.  I told her it would be nothing fancy, but hoped that it would at least be tasty.  After googling for some recipes that I could make with what I already had on hand at the house, I found this recipe for a whole wheat pasta with kale and fontina. And let me just say that it was DELICIOUS (and so easy to make!)

Ingredients

  • 4 slices bacon (2 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 bunch kale (1 pound), thick stems trimmed, leaves coursely chopped
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 cups reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
  • 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fontina cheese

Directions

  1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons rendered fat.
  2. Cook garlic in same skillet over medium heat until golden, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Add half the kale; cook, tossing until just wilted, 2 minutes. Add remaining kale, and season with salt and pepper; cook, tossing, until all kale has wilted, 2 minutes. Add broth; cover. Simmer until kale is tender, 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Return pasta to pot. Add kale and fontina; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add reserved cooking water as desired. Divide pasta among plates; top with reserved bacon.
I did make a couple substitutions - I used a lot more than one bunch of kale for the same amount of pasta because it shrinks so much when cooked.  I also used turkey bacon.  However, turkey bacon doesn't render the amount of fat that regular bacon so I had to add a little bit of olive oil so that I could saute the garlic.  I also had to play around with the heat on this one - sauteing garlic on medium fire is usually too hot and will likely burn.  Finally, I probably used half the amount of chicken broth and fontina suggested in the recipe and it all worked out!

I made extra with the idea that I could pack the leftovers for lunch the next day, but it was so good that Neda and I pretty much finished the entire thing! But then again, bacon makes everything delicious! It was quick and easy, and nutritious with all the kale.  I'll definitely make this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment