Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Weekend in Review

Did everyone enjoy a nice, long weekend?

Marc and I have yet to take a honeymoon so we decided to take a little anniversary trip to San Diego where we went last year for Engagement Weekend.  Yes, it's already been an entire year since we got engaged!  As many of you may recall, our Engagement Weekend was pretty much the world's worst kept secret, yet Marc still kept me waiting until Day 3 of a 3 day weekend to finally pop the question.  As much fun as it was, all I could think about all weekend was whether he would propose at dinner that evening and what the perfect outfit would be, whether I should double check there wasn't a sparkly diamond ring sitting on top of my peach champagne sorbet before I devoured it, or perhaps at our tennis lesson when he got on one knee...to tie his shoe.  This trip was nowhere near as nerve wracking, but just as fun!


On the way to dinner last year.   I'm big as a HOUSE.


On the way to dinner this year.  Same dress.  Why didn't anyone tell me?!?!
One of the highlights of the trip was dinner at Market Restaurant and Bar in Del Mar, which we discovered on our trip last year.  This restaurant is pretty much amazeballs and has quickly escalated up my list of "favorite restaurants" and even deserves a "one of the best meals I've ever had."  While Zagat is hardly the foodie bible, it gives Market a 29, easily making it one of the highest rated restaurants in all of Southern California.  And if you're a yelper, it has an average rating of 4-1/2 stars based on 300+ reviews!

The service is incredibly knowledgeable and you can tell that they genuinely love to eat.  Although the restaurant doesn't load up their menu with exotics like foie gras or squid ink noodles, they have a daily menu that incorporates only the season's freshest/best ingredients to ensure that even ordinary items tasted extraordinary.

I started out with the crispy duck confit & shaved french  melon salad with organic mission figs, wild arugula, pommery mustard, and a fig balsamic dressing.  Totally amazing.  I also had the cabernet braised prime beef shortribs with a sweet corn saute, heirloom cherry tomatoes, onion puree, and haricot vert.  It was bomb.com.  For dessert, I had the peach champagne sorbet, of course.  (No diamond ring this year either.)  But my favorite part was probably the amuse bouche.  It was just one bite, but so delicious.  Besides, who doesn't love an amuse bouche?  I wish I had pics of each of my entrees, but I didn't want to embarrass Marc by being That Asian Girl Who Takes Pictures of Her Food.

We came back from San Diego on Sunday afternoon, went to the Street Fair with our friends Andy and Sarah, and then managed to watch the entire first season of Breaking Bad.  Oh and then I worked for a few hours on Monday.  It was a pretty eventful three days, but a wonderful weekend.  I hope you enjoyed yours too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment